POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Why can't patterns be declared ? : Re: Why can't patterns be declared ? Server Time
1 Sep 2024 16:16:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why can't patterns be declared ?
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 2 Mar 2001 18:09:00
Message: <3aa0280c$1@news.povray.org>
In article <chrishuff-C6F2EA.15492402032001@news.povray.org> , Chris
Huff <chr### [at] maccom>  wrote:

> I've recently figured out how to declare things, so I'll probably make
> an attempt at this feature, it shouldn't be too difficult.

Be aware, you end up fixing half of POV-Ray texture code along with it.
The problem is that textures and pigments are close to the same thing in
the internal representation.  Once you start fixing the Parse_Pattern
you will end up fixing the data structures for textures, media (take a
look at the "next" pointer in _patterns_).  I have code going fairly far
(based on the current source code) but as said, you end up fixing so
many things (if you want to implement it well the first time) that you
would end up having to test every texture, media, pigment, normal and
pattern feature in combinations to make sure you didn't break anything.

Possible, but do you really want to do so if it is all going to be
trashed in case of a rewrite?  The texture code side effects are really
one of the biggest messes you can find in the current code base :-(

       Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde